Friday, November 13, 2009

Jazzical Spirit!


I love this CD of sacred jazz piano by Joel A. Martin. It brings me peace whenever I listen, which is often. With his background as a preacher’s son who has spent more than 20 years as a music director for various religious institutions, Martin knows these beautiful hymns, and has soulfully recreated them here.

It’s so comforting to hear his interpretations of such works as “A Mighty Fortress Is Our God,” “O Come, O Come Emmanuel” and “Ave Maria.” This CD is a real spirit-healer and restorer. It can be lively, as in “Sermonette,” solemn and meditative in “Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence” and reverential for “Amazing Grace.” “My Faith Looks Up to Thee” is prayer set to music.

In his liner notes, Martin says he thinks of himself as a minister of music. “My charge is to create peace and happiness through music,” he writes. “In doing so I serve The Man Upstairs. I hope He is smiling.”

I’m sure She is, Joel. Your CD is a blessing.

(Visit www.jazzical.com to listen and purchase.)

No comments: