Monday, June 14, 2010

Congratulations to Viola Davis


My favorite part of last night’s Tony Awards was Viola Davis’ acceptance speech for her best actress in a play honor for her work in Fences. She began in tearful praise: “You know, I don’t believe in luck or happenstance -- I absolutely believe in the presence of God in my life. I was born into circumstances where I couldn’t see it in my eyes, I couldn’t touch it in my hands -- I had to believe it in my heart.”

Actors often thank God in their acceptance speeches, sometimes almost as an afterthought, but I have never heard anyone sound as if the words were coming so deeply from the soul the way hers did. It's clear to see where she drew her strength for such a powerful, moving performance,

I also appreciated Denzel Washington’s comments when he accepted his best actor in a play award, also for Fences: “My mother always says, ‘Man gives the award, God gives the reward.’ I guess I’ve been given both tonight.”

I’ve asked Davis to give a theatre reflection at this year’s Broadway Blessing. She’s L.A.-based and Fences will have closed, so I don’t know if this will happen. Please say some prayers or keep your fingers crossed, which ever works for you. Better yet, do both! She would be a real blessing for our Blessing.

(Photo by: Joseph Maizulla/WENN)

1 comment:

Joseph Frost said...

I was struck by her comment as well - a very sincere recognition to what she believes has made it all possible. I was glad to hear it.