Friday, August 17, 2007

Focus

“Ninety percent of my game is mental. It is my concentration that has gotten me so far.”
-- Chris Evert

I heard Martina say something similar once, that a person can only have one thought in her head at a time so she makes that thought one that is focused on her goal. This reminds me of one of my favorite scenes in the movie “A League of Their Own.” Geena Davis, who plays on a women’s professional baseball team, is talking to her coach, Tom Hanks. She says she wants to quit because it’s hard. He says, of course it’s hard. If it wasn’t hard everyone would do it.
That’s so true. If it wasn’t hard everyone would be successful athletes or writers or actors or singers or whatever. Too many people give up on their dreams because the way is hard. As the song from “Gypsy” says: “Some people sit on their butts, got the dream, yeah, but not the guts.”
Joseph Campbell said if you pursue your bliss, the money will follow. I have always found this to be true.

No comments: