Friday, June 13, 2008

Release Your Burdens


Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. -1 Peter 5:7

In a church where I once belonged, a particular stained glass window always drew my attention. It simply portrayed Christ standing with His hands held opened together in front of Him. One Sunday I was sitting in church feeling the heaviness of a problem. My eyes were suddenly drawn to the stained glass window once more. The figure of Christ holding His hands cupped in front of Him seemed to be waiting for someone to drop something into them. I stared at the opened hands. Give it to me, the scene seemed to whisper.

I imagined myself reaching inside me and lifting a heavy stone of worry, placing it into the waiting hands of Christ. And as I did, I felt a sudden lightness...the freedom that comes only from releasing our burdens and trusting them to God.


The above article by Sue Monk Kidd is from Guideposts Magazine’s OurPrayer Companion, a daily devotional on OurPrayer.

No comments: