Saturday, June 12, 2010

Problem-solving and time


“. . . there is a defect in the approach to problem-solving more primitive and more destructive than impatiently inadequate attempts to find instant solutions, a defect even more ubiquitous and universal. It is the hope that problems will go away of their own accord. . . . This inclination to ignore problems is once again a simple manifestation of an unwillingness to delay gratification. . . To willingly confront a problem early, before we are forced to confront it by circumstances, means putting aside something pleasant or less painful for something more painful. It is choosing to suffer now in hope of future gratification rather than choosing to continue present gratification in the hope that future suffering will not be necessary.”

-- M. Scott Peck, The Road Less Traveled

1 comment:

Lucy Van Cleef said...

In my life, I have found that what looks like me looking at a problem to solve it is usually a problem looking at me to solve me. And its a good rule that for every answer I find, or that the problem finds in me, there are at least two more questions springing forth; because God is in the part of the creation that I do not yet know.