Monday, September 28, 2009

Patrice Djerejian


I met Patrice Djerejian, a gifted contralto who performs widely in the United States and Europe, at this year’s Broadway Blessing. She sang “I Sing for You,” one of her original songs, while Project Dance members performed. After the service she gave me two of her CDs, I Sing for You and Love Lost and Found, and thus she continues to bless my life.

The first features 13 love songs offered in a slow, reflective, intimate way that makes me feel I am still listening to her live. She’s included one of my all-time favorite songs, “The Way You Look Tonight,” a seldom recorded Broadway number, “Unusual Way” from Nine and other classics -- I like the blending of “Little Things Mean A Lot” with Debussy’s “Clair de Lune” as a backdrop -- as well as four original pieces for which she penned the lyrics and did the arrangements.

Much to my surprise, I liked Love Lost and Found even more. It’s enough to make an opera lover out of me. I play it over and over, appreciating Patrice’s rich offering of Handel’s arias and Italian solo cantatas along with the beauty of Sir Philip Ledger and the English Chamber Orchestra. This is a treasure.

For more information about this magnificent singer, visit www.patricedjerejian.com.

1 comment:

Docwesley777 said...

Happy Birthday, M.P.L.D.!