Monday, May 24, 2010

Something About Believing


I was just listening to Duke Ellington’s Second Sacred Concert, something I haven’t done in a long time. It was recorded live at my church, the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, where Ellington was an artist in residence and where his funeral drew an estimated 10,000 people.

It’s a two-record album and I love it all, but especially “Something About Believing.” If you’re not familiar with it, here are the words:

“Something ‘bout believing that keeps unfolding,
Something ‘bout believing that makes my soul sing.
Something ‘bout believing that keeps me holding
On to GOD Almighty.

I don’t light a lamp to see the Sun,
Don’t need proof of GOD,
Because I know that there ain’t a-gonna be but One.

Something ‘bout believing in the creation,
Something ‘bout believing the information.
Something ‘bout believing there’s just one nation,
Under GOD Almighty.

I want to be hip, I want to be cool,
I got to be with it all the way,
Because I ain’t about to be no fool.

Something ‘bout believing that’s greater than pleasure,
Something ‘bout believing that’s more than treasure,
Something ‘bout believing that’s beyond measure,
Just one GOD Almighty.

I know that you know,
The Bible says it’s so.
There is much mystery in the history,
To be exact, accept the fact,
An example or two is here for me and you.

Animals, birds and fish,
Have senses much keener and stronger.
And scientists do the difficult today,
And even the impossible just takes a little longer.

If you believe this,
What’s to keep me from believing that?

Something ‘bout believing that keeps me going,
Something ‘bout believing my faith is growing,
Something ‘bout believing that keeps me knowing,
I’ll see GOD Almighty.

Silliest thing ever read,
Was that somebody said,
‘GOD is dead.’
The mere mention of the first word,
Automatically eliminates
The second and the third.”

2 comments:

Unknown said...

After reading this piece, bought the CD right away. And discovered that this work was performed in Barcelona at the beautiful Gothic church, Santa Maria del Mar (also known as the Cathedral of the Sea). Thanks Retta.

Retta Blaney, M.A., M.F.A. said...

Hi Joyce -- I'm so glad you got the CD. It's fabulous!